A laboratory provides a facility for the students to perform different experiments under controlled conditions. While using a laboratory, it is necessary for us to create and maintain a culture of safety. Its reason is that without safety measures, you will not be able to perform different experiments accurately. Moreover, if you are performing different experiments without taking safety measures, there is also a possibility that you may harm yourself and all the people around you. That’s why before performing any experiment in the laboratory, you should clearly understand lab safety rules. In this article, we have explained the top 10 lab safety rules.
Lab Safety Rules in Tabular Form
Top 10 Lab Safety Rules
1. Clearly Understand and Follow the Instructions
· In the case of any problem, you will create problems not only for you but also for others in the lab.
· You will not be able to perform your experiment. Therefore, you should clearly understand the instructions.
· There is also a possibility that you may also damage all the types of equipment in the lab.
2. Be Careful While Walking in the Lab
There are some students who don’t take care in the lab and they try to walk in all the corners of the lab without taking care of different things in the lab. If they don’t take care while walking in the lab, there is a possibility that they may hit the types of equipment in the lab accidentally. As a result, these types of equipment may be damaged. There is also a possibility that you may hit the electrical wires that are laid on the floor. As w
3. Know the Location and Condition of the Safety of All Types of Equipment
Related post: How to balance chemical equations?
4. Dress for the Lab
Dress for the lab is also an essential safety measure in order to save you from harmful situations. In the lab dress, there come covered shoes, long pants, a lab coat, and safety goggles. Covered shoes are helpful for us in saving our feet from the harmful chemicals in the lab. Long pants and lab coats are helpful for us in saving our clothes and skin from the harm of different chemicals. Safety goggles can save our eyes. While performing any experiment, it is also a safety measure that you should keep your hair up. Its reason is that if your hairs are down, there is a possibility that a flame of fire may catch your hair or your hair may fall in the harmful chemical. By getting an idea about the nature of the experiment, you should also try to wear gloves and hearing protection, etc.
5. Be Careful While Handling Chemicals
· If you want to pour chemicals from one flask to another flask, you should never forget to wear gloves.
· After using chemicals, if you want to dispose of them, it is necessary for you to use the waste containers. These waste containers are easily available on the tables of your lab.
· While pouring chemicals into the waste container, you should make sure that it is vacant. Its reason is that if you pour your chemical in the presence of another chemical in the waste container, it will react with it and you may get harmed.
6. Be Careful While Handling Different Types of Equipment
In the lab, you will have to use different kinds of types of equipment. If you want to use these types of equipment with care, it is necessary for you to learn possible ways to handle these types of equipment. For example, if you want to use a microscope in the lab, you can easily handle it by keeping a hand on the microscope and a hand down in the microscope. If you want to use any equipment which is made of glass, you should try to hold in both hands. In a similar way, you should try to handle different types of equipment in the class in different ways.
7. There is No Need to Eat or Drink in the Lab
· If you bring anything to eat or drink in the science lab, there is a possibility that you may touch it with harmful chemicals. As a result, this harmful chemical can create lots of problems for you.
· There is also a possibility that a part of your food may also be mixed up with your chemical. As a result, you will not be able to get the possible results of your experiment.
· Some drops of drink can also destroy your lab book or research book.
· Performing a specific experiment there requires concentration and attention. If you are eating and drinking in the science lab, it means that you are distracting your attention from the main theme of the experiment. As a result, you will not be able to perform your experiment accurately and timely.
8. There is No Need to Taste or Sniff Anything in the Science Lab
No doubt, in a science lab, you will have to use lots of chemicals. In the science lab, there are lots of chemicals. Getting an idea about these chemicals from their color is difficult for the students. Under such a situation, some students try to taste or sniff these chemicals. If you are also tasting or sniffing these chemicals, there is a possibility that you may get harmed. Therefore, the best way to get an idea about these chemicals is to read the labels. These labels are present in the glassware of each chemical. If glassware doesn’t have a label, you should contact your teacher or lab assistant. He can tell you about this chemical.
9. Know What to do With Lab Accidents
If you are using the lab equipment and chemicals with care, there are rare chances of occurrence of these accidents. Anyhow, there is a possibility of these accidents. There are some students who try to cover it up. It is the wrong strategy because it may harm you or other people in the lab. The best strategy to deal with lab accidents is to contact your lab assistant. He can easily handle this accident because he knows the best strategies to handle lab accidents.
10. When the Lab is Over, Clean Up
· You should pour the waste chemicals into the waste container.
· You should use a brush to wash the beakers, flasks, and test tubes. It is the best way to clean the lab.
· You should put back all the types of equipment where they belong.
· You should also hang up the safety goggles and lab coats from where you have taken them. When you will put them at the right place, others can use them.
· In the end, you should try to wash your hands with soap.